Please share your fundraising stories with us on Facebook or Twitter (#pubaid) or follow us to be inspired by what others are doing as part of pubs raising over £100m for charity each year.
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Contact Your MP
We believe that pubs play a vital role in the fabric of the community, yet all too often they are vilified by the press. If you’d like to share the message about how important the pub is to you and your community and share the fact that pubs raise over £100m for charity each year, then here’s a resource designed to help you contact your local MP:
Write to your MP
To help inspire your fundraising, here are the finalists from this year’s BII Fundraiser of the Year Awards
Pub: Royal Oak, West Sussex
A small pub with a strong sense of community. The current owners moved into the pub seven years ago and have raised in excess of £26k for a local hospice, plus a further £8k for the air ambulance service in conjunction with another pub in Devon.
Fundraising event include:
- Snail and chicken races
- Pantomime Dame & Pantomime Horse racing, we have raced
- Annual Rusper Regatta with ‘boat’ racing (up the road!)
- Annual Weed Show
- R.O.A.D.S (Royal Oak amateur dramatic society) performances’ in the pub garden
- Festive plays at Christmas time
- Pantomime Horse Chariot Race, where regulars made and sponsored the chariots which were pulled by two pantomime horses each. The day also included sheep racing, Weed show and Barn Dance, with cricket and croquet. The weekend alone raised £3k.
- No mobile phone policy in the pub, each time a phone rings £1 has to be put in the charity pot
Pub: The Sweet Olive at The Chequers, Oxfordshire
The pub is at the centre of our two communities, and during the past 10 years the owners have supported many charities including local organisations, schools, playgroups, cricket clubs, gardening clubs and Bonfire Night associations. Charity efforts include:
Fundraising event include:
- The team founded the village’s ASTONAHLON in 2010, a charity 10km run and 30 km cycle where each applicant raises a minimum of £50. The event has raised over £30k over the last three years for a children’s hospital, a cancer research charity and donated funds to a local children’s playground.
- Boules annual competition raiseing over £10k. Has a French theme with pub meal and prizes.
- ‘Olivier and The Henley Challenge’ Triathlon, which saw a local take on the challenge raising over £20k.
- Steak and Capon nights raising over £5k
Pub: The Swan, Bristol
The pub is a big part of the community, raised approximately £23k for charity last year, all of which are local organisationsl, including supporting a young gentleman who was struggling with carrying on running a family home after his wife passed away, through to local charities and community projects.
Regular events include:
- Weekly skittles tournament and card-making for people with learning difficulties
- Charity quiz every week , Thursday night we have charity
- Live music nights at weekends
- BBQ on the patio
- Hosts community events such as craft fairs, Christmas Lights, Royal British Legion meeting ‘lodge’ in the function room