PubAid Charity Fundraising Pub 2018
Pub: The Logan Rock, Treen
The winners of our first Charity Fundraising Pub Award were Anita & Peter George of the Logan Rock in Treen, near Penzance, who collected their trophy at a celebration in the House of Commons.
The Logan Rock has been supporting charities ever since Anita & Peter took over at the 16th century, St Austell pub 35 years ago. Sponsored cycle rides along the Cornish coast, regular quizzes and auctions have raised money for local charities and causes including St Levan Church and Sports Club, Cornwall Blood Bikes and Macmillan, to name just a few.
A welly boot throwing competition held at the Logan Rock every Boxing Day supports Sennen Cove lifeboat station, while the pub also hosts visits from underprivileged children from London, delivers newspapers to Treen’s elderly residents and organises a local litter pick.
Anita said, “We’re delighted to have won this award and grateful to our fantastic team of staff and customers, who have given whole-hearted support to our fundraising efforts over the years. As a community pub, we’ve always felt we have a duty to help our local community, and it’s wonderful to have our efforts recognised in this way.”
Fundraising Case Study: Blockheads at The Brewery
The Partridge Pub in Partridge Green took their standard music night to anew level, taking over the local brewery with a big gig to raise money for The Dark Star Foundation
Pub: The Partridge, Partridge Green
Charity: Dark Star Foundation
Money Raised: Over £5,000
Effort & Cost to Organise: High
The pub is the Brewery Tap for the Sussex brewer and is well-known for the occasional music night, but this took the whole thing to a new level. They invited The Blockheads to play a gig at the Brewery, just around the corner from the pub. The event
sold out in a matter of weeks (350 at £20 a ticket).
There was a lot of work preparing the brewery and putting a stage in and associated cost. The band also charged a feem though a redueced one. After expenses, the event, including ticket sales and food / bar take, raised £5000 for the Dark Star Foundation.
A few words from the organiser:
“This wasn’t an easy gig to organise and the related costs were pretty high. Thanksfully the entire brewing team gave their time for free to help. The positive impact of the event went way beyond th money raised, people really engaged with the pub
and the brewery.”
We benefitted from some great local PR: : www.theargus.co.uk/news/13588834.Blockheads_team_up_with_Dark_Star_for_special_beer
Tel: 01293 871393
To help inspire your fundraising, here are the finalists from last year’s BII Fundraiser of the Year Awards
Pub: Royal Oak, West Sussex
A small pub with a strong sense of community. The current owners moved into the pub seven years ago and have raised in excess of £26k for a local hospice, plus a further £8k for the air ambulance service in conjunction with another pub in Devon.
Fundraising event include:
- Snail and chicken races
- Pantomime Dame & Pantomime Horse racing, we have raced
- Annual Rusper Regatta with ‘boat’ racing (up the road!)
- Annual Weed Show
- R.O.A.D.S (Royal Oak amateur dramatic society) performances’ in the pub garden
- Festive plays at Christmas time
- Pantomime Horse Chariot Race, where regulars made and sponsored the chariots which were pulled by two pantomime horses each. The day also included sheep racing, Weed show and Barn Dance, with cricket and croquet. The weekend alone raised £3k.
- No mobile phone policy in the pub, each time a phone rings £1 has to be put in the charity pot
Pub: The Sweet Olive at The Chequers, Oxfordshire
The pub is at the centre of our two communities, and during the past 10 years the owners have supported many charities including local organisations, schools, playgroups, cricket clubs, gardening clubs and Bonfire Night associations. Charity efforts
Fundraising event include:
- The team founded the village’s ASTONAHLON in 2010, a charity 10km run and 30 km cycle where each applicant raises a minimum of £50. The event has raised over £30k over the last three years for a children’s hospital, a cancer research charity and
donated funds to a local children’s playground.
- Boules annual competition raiseing over £10k. Has a French theme with pub meal and prizes.
- ‘Olivier and The Henley Challenge’ Triathlon, which saw a local take on the challenge raising over £20k.
- Steak and Capon nights raising over £5k
Pub: The Swan, Bristol
The pub is a big part of the community, raised approximately £23k for charity last year, all of which are local organisationsl, including supporting a young gentleman who was struggling with carrying on running a family home after his wife passed
away, through to local charities and community projects.
Regular events include:
- Weekly skittles tournament and card-making for people with learning difficulties
- Charity quiz every week , Thursday night we have charity
- Live music nights at weekends
- BBQ on the patio
- Hosts community events such as craft fairs, Christmas Lights, Royal British Legion meeting ‘lodge’ in the function room